Wednesday, January 14, 2009

“Keep stirring! Keep smiling!” Thai Cooking Class in Chiang Mai

The day after our trekking adventure Michelle and I booked an 8 hour, 6 course Thai cooking class at one of the many cooking schools in Chiang Mai. Since starting our travels, we've become big fans of the Thai cuisine and figured that we should learn how to make a few of the dishes to try at home (and of course, to impress you guys reading this!). Most of you know that two of my most favorite pastimes include cooking and eating- sounds like a winning combination, ehh?!

After an ingredient briefing at the fresh market, we are whisked into a nearby school where we each take our place behind a cooking station. For the rest of the day, we slice, dice, and listen to the canned-but-still-amusing cooking routine of our instructor. Right off the bat, our teacher showed us how throw some onions into the wok while creating a HUGE flame- I'll make sure to impress you all with this when I get home! Within hours we are able to turn out dish after dish made completely from scratch: tofu spring rolls, chicken with cashew nuts, green curry chicken, spicy shrimp soup (aka tom yum soup), pad thai, and for dessert sticky rice and mango (my personal favorite). We eat the first few dishes immediately after cooking them, and the rest are brought together at a table for us to enjoy with our fellow chefs.

The company (three Aussie girls) was amazing, but the food was even better (usually goes the other way around, I know...but this food was REALLY good)! By the time the course was over, Michelle and I had to practically be rolled out of there from being so stuffed! It was an absolutely wonderful way to spend my last day of my youth (that is, still being a 22 year old:)...

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to end your day, Thai-food, how do U do! Wannna have some time in Germany....how about an ou Par job with Norbie & I...we luv Thailandisch!!!!! Looks like you had alot of fun! Have fun cooking ...remember you will be asked to repeat history when you`re back:-)love you ....cook to you drop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lovie-
    i am so glad that you finally learned how to cook that food because now i wont even have to go to a restaurant when i want to eat it. i cant wait to see you when you get back and i have a surprise waiting for you here :)
    love always
    -brookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should we expect some Thai home cooking when you return? We can't wait to see you in a few days. Happy belated birthday!! 23 years old.
    Love,
    Dad & Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are journaling this adventure because I almost feel like I am there. You should consider becoming a reporter and I am totally serious! I am also looking forward to some authentic Thai food when you get home. Be safe and see you soon! Love you, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete