Thursday, January 1, 2009

In Cambodia, celebrating the New Year!!

The four of us (Myself, Rachel, Janelle, and Michelle) spent about a week in Cambodia in between Siem Riep and Phnom Phen. Each place was very different, but a good time was had everywhere!

Siem Riep: Angkor Wat

Most of ya'll have probably seen Tomb Raider where it was filmed by some ancient ruins, right? ...well, I was there! For two days we got to tour the area around Siem Riep called Angkor Wat. These temples were built in the thirteenth century and have lasted ever since. I've actually learned that they are one of the man made seven wonders of the world (I can check that off my list!). There was impeccable detail carved in some of the stones and others temples were ingrown with ancient trees with routes sprawling fifty feet away. I will post pictures as soon as possible, but I have not been able to find a computer with a card reader lately.

Phnom Phen: Lasting impressions of the Khmer Rouge

This trip to Phnom Phen was interesting and very informative, yet quite depressing. Not sure if many of ya'll remember when Cambodia was under the rule of Pol Pot beginnning in 1975, under the Khmer Rouge, but it was comparable to the Holocaust. Millions were murdered for no reason other than being educated or simply being of the wrong ethnic group. During our visit, we went to a school that was used as a place of imprisonment and torture during the time. There were mugshots of the victims all over the walls and the 1 meter x 3 meter cells were still intact-shackles and all. After the school, we went to the killing fields where many of the tortured victims were later executed-not much else to say about that. Before this trip I had just heard the name Pol Pot, but after coming to these memorials and reading the book, First They Killed My Father, I am so much more informed.

All in all, Cambodia was a good trip with even better company...but I can say that I don't plan on making the trip back there any time soon. I have never seen such a poverty stricken place and it makes me so thankful for what I have and the country that I live in.

Update: Rachel and Janelle had to head back to Bangkok for work, but Michelle and I have just made it into Vietnam. Will get back to you with more stories, asap!

Take care and I love you all!!!

3 comments:

  1. Boy...girl,I´ve been waiting all day for your newest up-date. Glad you did not go back to Bangkok for your new year eve party....a touristy disco went up in smoke! Anxious to see pictures of your super organized tour...keep cool and seek all adventures that stand before you! LOVE YOU ALL and enjoy ...annie and norbert from the hill country

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooohhh by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your friends M´lissy and continually exciting adventures in the new year 2009

    ReplyDelete
  3. That long-necked woman is creeping me out!

    ReplyDelete